Top knot buns are a perfect look year round. They keep your hair off your shoulders and back to keep you cooler in the summer, and look stunning at formal events with the sleek style. Best of all they’re a quick style to create and comfy to wear while lounging around the house. And top knot buns can be customized with accessories like hair pins, weave, and adornments to match any outfit and occasion.
To do a top knot bun you only need a brush, two small hair ties if you have thin or medium hair and one small and one large hair tie if you have thick and long hair. If you want you can use finishing spray to make the look shiny, and use a light hairspray to keep flyaways from falling out.
Pro-tip: For the top knot with bangs, have bobby pins on hand to keep your bangs from getting pulled in.
If you’re ready to do a top knot bun, here are three ways to create the look.
The Classic Top Knot Bun
The classic top knot bun is the fastest and easiest version to create. Once you get good at it, you’ll be able to wrap your hair up in a matter of minutes.
- Brush your hair out flat and gather it into a high ponytail.
- Secure the ponytail where you want the top knot to be.
- Wrap the ponytail around the base and secure it with the large hair tie.
- Use hairspray or finishing spray to complete the look.
Top Knot Bun With Bangs
If you’re looking to frame your face or create movement for a long flowing outfit, the top knot bun with bangs is a showstopper. Perfect for wearing to the pool on vacation, or gracing a red carpet event, you’ll be the star with this “haute” hairstyle. And it looks amazing with most bangs from side swept to curtains, and curly.
- Separate your hair so your bangs remain free to shape to your preferred bang style and use a bobby pin to keep them separated.
- Brush your hair out and pull it up to the top of your head in a ponytail, and secure it with a small hair tie.
- Wrap the ponytail around the base to create the top knot bun, and secure it with the other hair tie.
- Style your bangs.
Twisted Top Knot Bun
The twisted top knot bun is a fun and fancier version of the classic one above. And you can do a stunning modified version with braids once you get good at this version.
The twisted top knot bun is perfect for longer hair as it will need to cover two bases vs. one. It will also likely require a third hair tie.
- Brush your hair out and separate it into two sections with one on top of the other using a hair tie to secure the bottom section in a pony tail on the top of your head first.
- You could go side by side if you’d like.
- Now take the other section and create a second ponytail above or next to the first one.
- Now twist the ponytails together creating a rope-like look, and then wrap them around the base of the two ponytails to create the hair bun.
- Secure the twisted top knot using the remaining hair tie.
Doing a top knot is quick, easy, and best of all, the style works for all occasions making it a go-to hairdo when you’re in a hurry and want to look your best. Subscribe to our blog below for more hair styling tips like these.