Have you tried tying a messy bun, but it keeps falling before you can secure it with a hair tie? Or maybe you have fly aways that have a mind of their own. This post is for you!
Whether you want a low-maintenance hairstyle or to just keep your long hair out of your face; here is how to do a messy bun complete with solutions for stray hairs and keeping your look in place.
You will need:
- Spiral bobby pins
- 1 medium to large hair tie (TELETIES are preferred)
The steps to tie a long hair messy bun:
- Gather your hair away from your face and neck towards the back of your head where you want the bun to form
- Pull it back into a ponytail and if you would like, place a hair tie to keep it in place.
- Twist your ponytail until it's pulled tight
- Wrap the long twist around the base of your ponytail (where the hair meets the back of your head).
- Secure your messy bun by tying the hair tie around the bun
As a bonus, here’s a two hacks to use to keep your long hair bun looking fantastic:
- Don’t wash your hair for 1-2 days, because the build-up of your natural oils, specifically in long hair, will help the bun hold better.
- If your hair is thick or does not stay in place while you make a ponytail, create two pony tails and then wrap the first, then wrap the second.
Now that you’ve fallen in love with how easy it is to do a messy bun, here are nine more messy buns to change up your look:
- Low Bun
- Classic Top Knot Bun
- Double Buns
- High Bun With Braid
- Wide Bun
- Top Knot Bun With Middle Part
- Bun With Dutch Braids
- Looped Bun
- Side Swept Bun
Knowing how to tie a messy bun is only the beginning of your adventure into fun long hair hairstyles. Subscribe to our blog below and get more hairstyling tips as we publish a new post each week.