There’s no shortage of half-up half-down hair buns you can do. There’s the futuristic space buns which are fab for festivals, a messy bun at the back of your head for depth, texture, and a flowing look, or a twisty-braided crown that flows into a half-up half-down bun for a stand-out, show-stopping style. But that one is a lot more advanced.
What makes this look popular, outside of it being stylish, is that it is fast and easy to do. Best of all it works for each face shape. This is because you can leave bangs to frame and elongate, or pull hair back to keep your cheekbones exposed. There’s no shortage of options. So if you’re ready, let’s learn to do half-up half-down buns in six easy steps.
You will need:
To do a half-up half-down hair bun:
- Brush tangles and knots out of your hair so it is smooth and easy to work with.
- Section off the top half of your hair by drawing an imaginary line from ear to ear, then gather all of your hair from the top section into your hand.
- Twist this top half of your hair into a tight rope.
- Coil the twisted section around itself to form a small bun at the back of your head.
- Secure the bun using the hair tie and tuck in any loose ends and spray with a finishing spray to keep flyaways away.
- Now brush out or style the low hanging hair for the down portion of the style.
Bonus-tip: If you want this to be a messy bun, tug some strands out of the bun to add texture and create the messy look.
Once you get the hang of doing a half-up half-down bun, it’ll take you a minute or less to get it in place. Then you can have fun making it your own. For example, if you’re going to a concert or EDM festival, why not style space buns on the top of your head, then use a decorative claw hair clip for a cascading ponytail down the back. You’ll have pops of color and a cool modern style.
Twisty braids are always fun and add texture to your hairdo. Try wrapping the base of the bun with a twisted braid for texture, or run twisty braid crowns from the front of your head to the bun, and then tuck them into the hair tie.
There’s no limit except your own creativity for having fun with this style. Have you created one with your TELETIES? Tag #TELETRIBE on Instagram and TikTok to let us see your look. And if you found this style guide helpful, subscribe to the blog below to get more delivered to your inbox.