Split ends cannot be fixed or repaired because the cells that make up your hair are dead, and dead cells cannot come back to life and heal, unlike human cells that are in anastasis and can potentially be revived. This is why the only way to get rid of a split end is to cut it off.
By trimming the split end it cannot spread and further damage the follicle. Although you cannot repair or fix a split end, you can be proactive at preventing them. And the best way to do this is to change your daily routines. Here’s a few starting points:
- Wash your hair with warm water (not hot water because hot water strips your hair of the protective oil sebum) and then rinse with cold water to lock in moisture.
- Wash your hair at the recommended frequency to avoid sending your sebum production into overdrive. Too much sebum can make your hair brittle and more prone to breakage and split ends.
- Go for a trim every month or when you see split ends forming, the only way to prevent them from spreading up the follicle is to cut them off. If you want to grow your hair long, trimming as the split end forms is vital so you can grow your hair faster than the length you trim off.
- Use a moisturizer and run it from root to tip as proper moisture keeps the strand healthier.
- Don’t over brush your hair as this can fray and damage it. If your tips are prone to split ends, avoid brushing as much as possible to reduce friction and damage.
- Avoid elastic hair ties and go with spiral hair ties as the spiral design slides through your hair with less friction.
- Stop using heated tools as much as possible as heat dries hair and can cause split ends. If you do need heat because you’re adding a flip to a bob or barbie ponytail, lower the heat level and apply heat protection sprays to add moisture and protect your strands.
While we cannot fix or repair a split end, we can be proactive and prevent as many from forming. And now you have a good starting point to go with. If you found this article helpful, subscribe to the TELETIMES blog below for more tips and hairstyling ideas.